Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, September 21, 2014

"Friends are the bacon bits in the salad bowl of life."

I saw that quote the other day. I don't know who said it... but I like it.

It has been a beautiful week here in Pittsburgh. Seriously. The weather has been in the mid-70s all week, not too hot, not too humid... and the leaves are starting to turn colors. And there are a LOT of trees here. It really is so pretty.

We have had a fun week. The Maddie and Addie duo have had plenty more play time - I'm pretty sure we hung out almost every day this week. We played at a couple different playgrounds, got crafty and made some Halloween decorations, and went to Phipps Conservatory for storytime, which was super fun. Our relief society has a "play group" where moms can take their kids and we play at a different playground every Tuesday morning, which is fun for the kids to play and the moms to be able to talk to other adults for a while. It's a great way to get to know other sisters in the ward. Janelle (Addie's mom) and I also took the girls to a big "Just Between Friends" consignment sale on Neville Island in the North Pittsburgh area on Friday - which was pretty brave of us (the checkout line was an hour long...) - and we got some awesome deals. It was like a really big yard sale. And I just have to add a side note of how super grateful I am to have this wonderful woman named Janelle in my life. We met only a couple weeks ago at stake conference, and we have already become the best of friends - I honestly feel like I have known her my whole life. I know it was no coincidence that we met and became friends, and that our girls have so much fun together (most of the time... they are two years old after all ;) ). I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father who loves each of us and knows the desires of our hearts.

In other news, I had my first day as the primary music leader today - and it actually went pretty well! I think I am going to really enjoy this calling. There are actually two of us, which will be nice because we will switch off every other week so one of us can attend Sunday school and relief society every other week. Sean says that I got a "cushy" calling, and... he is probably right. But you will not hear me complain :) especially since my last calling was the Visiting Teaching coordinator of apartment complexes..... Sean has evaded a calling thus far, but he has been called a marked man, so I'm sure it won't be long. He was, however, asked to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting today. He is a great speaker, and even if he is nervous, he always appears at ease when speaking in front of others. I'm just a little bit jealous of that quality. He spoke about the parable of the talents from the New Testament, and did really well.

Sean is continuing to study his life away, but we did manage to find time to do some fun things this week - we went to dinner at Five Guys and a Pirates game with our friends (Matt and Kristen McCullough) on Thursday, and then Sean went with the McCulloughs again on Saturday to a University of Pittsburgh football game. Matt McCullough is a third year law student and him and Sean have become good friends. Kristen and I have also become friends, because having your husbands in law school has a way of bonding you together! :) I will be honest and say that I spent way more time chatting with Kristen than watching the Pirates game... oops!

We also had dinner with our friends in the ward the Bellistons last Monday, and then they were kind enough to feed us again Friday night after Sean helped them pick up and move a piano. They are awesome people, and Madison has fun playing with their two kids as well. We feel so blessed to have already made such great friends. There really are so many great people in our ward.

A couple other random things before I wrap this up...

My visiting teaching companion and I did our first visit this month, and it turns out the sister we visit teach knows one of my best friends' (Syd Landeen I'm talking about you!) little sisters (Jac) - they were roommates at SUU. I got so excited talking to her about this, and a little homesick. When you are a Mormon and from Utah it is definitely a small world!

Also, Madison loves to sing these days. Her favorite songs are "You Are My Sunshine", "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," "I am a Child of God," "The Wise Man and the Foolish Man," and the alphabet song. She sings them all around the house, and it is pretty dang adorable. She was singing I am a Child of God as we were walking around Trader Joe's the other day, just having a jolly old time. She also snuggled up into my lap the other day and requested that I sing You Are My Sunshine to her, and it melted my heart right to the floor. As much as I need to get a job so we have income coming in (and I am definitely working on that)... I can't help but be grateful for this time I have to spend at home and enjoy these precious moments.

Pictures from this week:

Watching the Packers vs. Seahawks game! Too bad they lost...

Addie and Maddie play time at the "Blue Slide" playground
 

Pirates game, ice cream cones, and a dinosaur shaped like a ketchup bottle.
 

 ...or is it a ketchup bottle shaped like a dinosaur...??

Downtown skyline


Tried out a new hairstyle and played dress-ups

We got to watch Addie for a couple hours at our house. Sean is always a favorite with the kiddos - he is the fun one around here. Especially when they get to ride the "bear!"





Storytime at Phipps Conservatory - they got to make apple trees, and plant basil! (That's what's in the paper bags)


Madison's homemade Halloween decorations we put on the fireplace - a pumpkin she colored/put stickers on, and cute little ghostie footprints! (Credit to Janelle and Pinterest for the ideas)


No comments:

Post a Comment